Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My dreams of being a Mangaka or Graphic Novel Artist...


...have been rekindled as of late.  I've always been a huge fan of comics as art has always been a part of my life.  I'm 26 now, going on 15 again with me getting into reading graphic novels regularly once more.  I used to frequent a nearby comic shop when I was in high school and blow what little money I had on Spawn, X-Men and some other random titles. 
It seems like the universe has thrown me back into this world (even though I don't feel like I've ever been that far) because so many people around me at the moment are readers or makers of comics. lol Some favorites right now are The Walking Dead, Y The Last Man, Naruto, and Batman.  When I was in high school I spent all my time drawing comic book characters and original anime style characters but as graduation approached I fell victim to my own self criticism and pretty much gave up on art all together.  I started college as an English major and later changed to Art as I could no longer deny my passion.  Comic making wasn't really more than an unrealistic fantasy that I wasn't even practicing at.
Needless to say this all leads me back to those dreams again.  So that's where I am.  I've been doing art a lot more these last few years and even though most of it has been painting and quite unrelated to comics, I want to do this.  I've been drawn to this book I keep seeing every time I go to the bookstore about making comics and last night I finally bought it!  Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels It's a great book so far and very inspiring.  Scott McCloud, thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment